To make the base sturdy, the wood chipboard and shoji paper are taped onto the polystyrene (Fig 7). The wood chipboard side being the base of the maquette (Fig 8).
Holes are made into each corner of the polystyrene (Fig 9). The wooden sticks are cut 30cms in length (monitor screen height) and are inserted into each hole (Fig 10). The Vinyl decoration sheets are used as partitions. They are measured, cut and placed onto the wooden sticks (Fig 11). The tin foil lid acting as a shower head is taped to the roof of the maquette (Fig 12).
The cling film is painted with watercolour paint (Fig 13). The film is wrapped around a wooden stick 45cms in length (monitor screen length) and is suspended horizontally from each partition. Interior angle views (Fig 14&15). The decoration lights are arranged around the roof of the maquette (Fig 16).
The props are placed inside the maquette interior and the maquette is positioned in front of the monitor, side view angle (Fig 17). Watercolour paint is put into the PET bottle and a little water is added (Fig 18). The PET bottle experimentation process will be filmed later.
Recently I’ve been considering more about the installation aspect of my project. I’d previously constructed a maquette mainly using polystyrene back in October. Looking back and reflecting on this work in my blog has helped me retrace my footsteps. I noted a lot of positives and negatives from the experimentation process. For Maquette No 2, the construction and materials used will be similar but arranged differently. I will include props and emphasize lighting. I will continue to experiment with transparent objects. This time I will use cling film.
Fig 1 = 2 wooden sticks (3.8″ x 0.2″)/ Japanese shoji paper/ miniature toilet, door & dustbin/ white gaffer tape/retro miniature chair/ cling film
Fig 2 = 2 wooden sticks (3.8″ x 0.2″)/ Japanese shoji paper/ scissors/masking tape/0.5 ink pen/decoration lights/ wood chipboard
Last night I drew a few frames and went through the following procedures: Testing the thickness of brushstrokes, determining the %s to magnify areas of the image, considering colours and gradients. All provisional but it gives me a platform to work on. This morning I set up the polystyrene maquette and used the images to continue with my experiments. Each image is clearly marked; the image number is in the bottom right corner. Details of each image are noted below:
1 Maquette with vinyl window decoration as curtain. Ice blue colouration for image.
2 Maquette with empty just washed PET bottles, close up, no curtain. Ice blue colouration for image
3 Maquette with empty just washed PET bottles, and cling film as curtain. Ice blue colouration for image
4 Maquette with cling film as curtain. Ice blue colouration for image.
5 Maquette with just washed PET bottles. Soft grey gradient for image.
6 Maquette with empty just washed PET bottles, and cling film as curtain. Mixed hues of browns, nectarine colouration for image. Lighting effect used.
7 Maquette with empty just washed PET bottles. Mixed hues of browns, nectarine colouration for image. Lighting effect used.
From my experiments, I gained many ideas and different possibilities for future maquettes and images. It was obvious from Fig 1 that I needed to consider softer transparent materials in order to project imagery through layers. Also, I found out that the maquette was too wide so I altered the shape to cube and as a result, the maquette looked more compact and structurally balanced. I thought about abandoning the curtain idea altogether and use transparent objects. PET bottles worked fine but looked a bit flat by appearance so after cleaning them, I got some interesting effects with the drops of water (Fig 2). I thought about a transparent material. Rhiannon’s drawing on cling film and tracing paper gave me the idea to use cling film (Fig 3). I think I’ll use tracing paper next time. I removed the PET bottles but the effect wasn’t particularly interesting visually (Fig 4). Next, I experimented with colours and photography effects. I used greys and blacks and continued with using the PET bottles (Figs 5/6/7). Using multiple layers worked well for me. Next time, I’ll consider glass, tracing paper and other materials for the maquette.
This morning I considered the tools and materials for making the maquettes. However, when I got to the nearby 100 Yen (57p) shop, I discovered more interesting materials such as polystyrene, vinyl and aluminium so I ended up getting all sorts of materials and functional objects that I could experiment with. Bar the pair of scissors, the total cost for the tools and materials came to, 1,080 yen which is roughly £6 quid…bargain!
I measured the monitor which gave me a rough idea when cutting the polystyrene boards. Fortunately, the boards are A4 so I didn’t need to spend a lot of time cutting and measuring. I wish I had my voice recorder with me, the acoustics in my apartment when cutting and breaking the polystyrene were absorbing. I purposely didn’t work to music like I usually do. As a result, I could think about new ideas while I was cutting, sticking, measuring.
I liked the eerie aesthetic of the polystyrene. I was considering marking in square tiles, glad I went against the idea now though the orange masking tape spoilt the effect and bugged me so much that before uploading the photo, I digitally wiped it out using extreme contrast.